Ana içeriğe geç

Eşyalarını Tamir Et

Onarma Hakkı


Mid 2010 Model A1278 / 2.4 or 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

930 Soru Tümünü görüntüle

Any tips for my malfunctioning batteries/charging circuit?

So heres the backstory.

After a freak sprinkler accident, my laptop ended up being submerged underwater for quite a long time, almost an hour I believe. On discovery, I immediately disassembled most parts and put it in rice for a week. I'm still having trouble believing how lucky I am that it still works flawlessly.


The only lasting problem I noticed was that the battery no longer worked. The battery icon at the top simply said the battery wasn't charging, and it only worked if powered by the charger, and would immediately shut off if unplugged. I first suspected the battery was damaged, and so I ordered a new one. I swapped out my old one with the new one, and to my delight, my laptop was able to run off of battery again. Unfortunately, I quickly found that it still was unable to actually charge the battery from the message at the top.

I then took a different route, and reset the PRAM, SMC, and even reinstalled Mavericks for good measure (I had backups). Things then began to go weird though, as I found that after doing those, my MacBook was no longer able to detect the replacement battery, giving me a battery with an "X" at the top, a "No battery available" message, and a System Report gave me the same specs as if I didn't have a battery plugged in at all. The old battery continued to be detected fine though, stuck at 62% but not charging.

So long story short, neither of two different batteries are able to charge, and only my original is even detected (though the newer replacement used to before SMC, PRAM, OS resets, etc). I do plan to visit an Apple Store, but unfortunately the nearest one to me is over 200 miles away. Until I get a chance for them to diagnose it, my question is whether you guys have any other ideas on actions I could take to diagnose/solve this. I have researched this quite thoroughly (I think) and tried many other things as well. My best guess at this point would be that the charging circuit was damaged, though I am also curious why the replacement battery stopped working as well, and whether it failed or if it's in my laptop. I would be greatful for any ideas/diagnoses you have, and for any leads you can get me on this, thanks.


I was able to get the coconut stats for the new, replacement battery (dead), but it only gave me this:

Block Image

Things then got weird. I tried putting my original back in, but I found that my laptop wouldn't want to display the battery icon at the top, even after reenabling it many times in Settings. So far, I've mainly been restarting my laptop with every possible combination of SMC resets, PRAM resets, battery swaps, etc., but no luck so far, except for one of the restarts, which brought back the icon, but with an X just like the replacement battery. Coconut Battery gave me this:

Block Image

Which also happens to be the same info Coconut gives me when I don't have a battery plugged in at all, running only from the AC adapter. It got even stranger as Coconut Battery then crashed, and wouldn't open again until another restart, which only made the icon disappear again.

At this point, I'm still trying many things to get it to start up (with the original battery) and show the normal battery icon its been showing for the past few days.

Unless you guys have any tips I can try now, I will probably take some time off and take oldturkey03's advice to clean out everything, as I have only lightly cleaned out the outsides of some of the main components (with Isopropyl Alcohol, 99%).

The replacement battery I got was from a third-party reseller, but as far as I can tell, it seems to be authentic from Apple. The text and model numbers between the two batteries are identical, in fact you would never be able to tell the difference between the two, except for a small label the reseller stuck onto the replacement.

Would the Mag-Safe board be a likely suspect in this situation? It seems like it's powering everything ok, and the light on my charger is acting normally (first orange when plugged in, then turns green soon after).

Also, are there any connections I could test with a current/voltmeter that might help here?


So after about 2 hours of desperate attempts to get the battery icon to show up again, it does! (but only after a second light cleaning and switching the magsafe port around (running down the side of the laptop), that wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?). So the battery icon is back at the top with a charging icon, though when clicked on, still says "Not Charging" and Power Source: Power Adapter". Coconut Battery gives me this:

Block Image

(I am aware that it was in terrible shape already, and I was planning to replace it soon anyway. This whole problem happened only after the water incident, so I'm doubting it had anything to do with it.)

Also, I noticed the fan was much less noisier once I got the icon working. While I realize this seems more of a problem with the SMC, I can assure you I have reset it many, many times already. One more bit of information that might be useful is that every time I do an SMC reset OR unplug my charger cable from the laptop, my computer is no longer able to startup just from pressing the power button. After every time that happened, I would have to unplug the power cable, hold the power button for 5 seconds, then plug the cable back in while still holding power, and then hold it another 5 seconds. Releasing it after the total of those 10 seconds, I would be able to press the button and have it turn on.

Bu soruyu yanıtlayın Ben de bu sorunu yaşıyorum

Bu iyi bir soru mu?

Puan 1
Yorum Ekle

4 Cevap

Filtre ölçütü:
En Yararlı Yanıt

Marko, skip the rice. The "rice trick" is one big myth. Just like any other electronic device that suffered from water damage, placing it in rice is equivalent to doing nothing. It does not prevent any kind of corrosion or fixes your computer. The best thing to do is to stop using the device, (remove the battery) and to totally disassemble it. Then clean every part (mainly the logic board and the DC-in board) with +90% isopropyl alcohol. This will displace the water and stop corrosion. It it okay to submerge all board in isopropyl alcohol. Use a soft brush to clean the boards. While you clean it, check for any missing, burned or otherwise damaged component. After that, air dry all the components. Do not forget to clean all the connectors on the board as well as the cables. Then re-assemble and re-evaluate. For as long as you continue to use a water damaged board without cleaning it, you are increasing the risk of shortcircuiting components due to corrosion. Water damage is the toughest to trouble shoot and to repair. Your computer does show a fuse for the PBus supply and battery charger circuitry, but your symptoms do not fit that of a failed fuse. This could be as simple as a burned resistor in the battery detect circuitry to as complicated as a bad power IC chip, or failed DC-in board. Hope this helps, good luck.

Bu yanıt yardımcı oldu mu?

Puan 2


This whole incident unfortunately happened while I was away from home, and at the time I was only able to get my hands on a small phillips screwdriver, allowing me to at least open it up and disconnect the main parts. While I did get home soon the next day and actually removed the main parts (like the battery), I mainly kept it in rice during that time because I had heard it would help remove the moisture, or any bits of water I couldn't get out immediately.

I knew from the start there was nothing I could do about immediate corrosion, or that it could somehow recover, but do you think there is any validity about it being able to reduce moisture (and hence, slowing down any corroding)?


Yorum Ekle

Is the battery X red or black?

First I'd download and run Coconut battery to get a better idea of what's going on with these batteries. Match the version to your system to get the right one:

Please let us know your results.

Did you buy a knock off battery?

Next, I'd replace the Mag-Safe board, it's a fairly cheap fix compared to replacing the logic board.

Bu yanıt yardımcı oldu mu?

Puan 2


The icon had a black X, and I just updated my post with answers.


Yorum Ekle

Have you tried the batteries in another laptop?

It sounds to me like there is a smd fuse gone between the motherboard and where the battery itself charges from most likely it shorted in the water and blew. My only recommendation would be to try another charger port in the laptop though I honestly don't think it will help.

EDIT: Mayer might have a better idea then I do.

Bu yanıt yardımcı oldu mu?

Puan 1
Yorum Ekle

if it still doesent work after cleaning you can try a smc reset, it deals with charging and all kinds of other hardware, ive had it fix a failed USB port before.

1 Shut down the computer.

2 Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

3 On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

4 Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

5 Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Bu yanıt yardımcı oldu mu?

Puan 0


Micheal, read above question "I then took a different route, and reset the PRAM, SMC, and even reinstalled Mavericks for good measure"


Yorum Ekle

Yanıtını ekle

Marko sonsuza kadar minnettar olacak.
İstatistikleri Görüntüle:

Son 24 Saat: 0

Son 7 gün: 3

Son 30 gün: 8

Her zaman: 2,022