Keyboard and trackpad are unreponsive?
My keyboard and trackpad stopped working and I’m desperately looking for answers on how to fix this.
It’s a MacBook Pro early 2015 13inch and it still works with an external keyboard and mouse.
The issue started appearing 2 weeks ago, but rebooting while holding the shift key would usually make things work again until the next day/the next reboot.
But this time it didn’t!
- Resetting the PRAM/SMC has not helped.
However, I noticed that resetting the SMC also worked with the build-in keyboard (the charge indicator light blinked between orange and green) so that must be a hint that the build-in keyboard still works, and that it’s probably more a software issue than a hardware issue, right? I mean If the cable really is broken then why did it work when I did a SMC reset?
(However I can not reset the PRAM using the built in keyboard. I can reset the PRAM with the external keyboard.)
- I tried to use the built in keyboard and trackpad in safe mode - didn’t work.
- I runned the Apple Hardware Test and got the Error Code PPT002 (apparently it’s simply a battery issue but not an urgent one) but nothing else.
- I Time Machined back to 3 weeks ago, when everything still worked perfectly - didn’t help.
- I went into the System Preferences > Startup Disk > clicked the internal Macintosh HD and restarted - didn’t help.
- I use the software malwarebytes and CleanMyMac X (the free version): Nothing found.
- And my Mac runs on Sierra (it runned perfectly well) I’ve been thinking to update to Mojave (or the newest version) to check if it s related to that, but somehow the update doesn’t show up in the App Store.
An additional thing which may be connected to the issue in some way or another: my chrome browser is set with the default search engine google;
However, sometimes since a couple of weeks, chrome redirects me to bing (despite checking the preferences and deinstalling and reinstalling chrome, this issue keeps on popping up!).
So if anyone can advise if they believe it’s the hardware or the software at fault and what I can do - Please help, every hint is welcome! thanks!!