Background and Identification
The Trek Marlin 7 is an entry-level mountain bike with “race-inspired geometry [and] budget-friendly components” that is designed for racing and commuting (Bicycling.com). The Trek Bicycle Corporation is a bicycle and cycling product manufacturer and distributor under various brand names including Trek, Electra Bicycle Company, Bontrager, and Diamant Bikes. It was available in seven sizes from XS to XXL and sold for approximately USD $800.
The Marlin 7 features an aluminum frame and two nine-speed drivetrains. The two drivetrains provide smaller jumps between gears. It includes a 100mm RockShox XC30 coil-spring fork. It includes two 36/22 chainrings, which differs from the single chainring trend in mountain bikes. The Marlin 7 has rear mounts that are designed for touring and commuting. It also has a switch that allows the user to lock the fork while riding to eliminate front suspension. A gear indicator is located on the right side of the bike’s handlebars. Cables are hidden in the frame of the bicycle to add to the bike’s aesthetics but may make repairs more difficult.
The Trek Marlin 7 includes the name “Trek” printed in capital letters across the side of the bike’s lower frame. It includes an aluminum Bontrager seatpost and handlebars. Its stem is also aluminum Bontrager that is Blendr compatible.
- Frame: Alpha Silver Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, rack & fender mounts, G2 Geometry on 29ers
- Fork: RockShox XC 30, coil spring, preload, TurnKey lockout, G2 Geometry w/51mm offset on 29ers, 100mm travel (13.5: 80mm travel)
- Front hub: Formula DC20 alloy
- Rear hub: Formula DC22 alloy
- Rims: Bontrager Connection 32-hole double-walled
- Tires: Bontrager XR2, 29x2.20˝ front, 29x2.00˝ rear (13.5 & 15.5: 27.5x2.20˝)
- Shifters: Shimano Altus M2000, 9 speed
- Front derailleur: Shimano Altus M2000
- Rear derailleur: Shimano Acera M3000, Shadow
- Crank: Shimano MT100, 40/30/22
- Bottom bracket: Sealed cartridge
- Cassette: Shimano HG20, 11-34, 9 speed
- Chain: KMC X9
- Pedals: Wellgo nylon platform
- Saddle: Bontrager Evoke 1.5
- Seatpost: Bontrager alloy, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
- Handlebar: Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise
- Grips: Bontrager Race
- Stem: Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 7 degree, Blendr compatible
- Headset: Semi-integrated, 1-1/8˝
- Brakeset: Tektro M285 hydraulic disc
- Weight: M - 14.29 kg / 31.50 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit: This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg).