Who am I?
Hi! I’m Olivia, the iFixit Outreach team’s resident Ravenclaw.
I grew up in Utah, playing soccer and quidditch (yes, like in Harry Potter), Irish dancing, and enjoying picnic breakfasts in the canyons of Mount Timpanogos. I went to college in Logan, Utah, and then followed my heart to San Luis Obispo, California. Living only a couple of miles from the beach is as wonderful as it sounds, but the mountains will always hold a special place in my heart.
What have I done?
I’ve always loved reading and writing, so in middle school I decided I wanted to be an author. Then in high school, I took a media publications class that allowed me to try a lot of new things—journalism, graphic design, photography, video—and I decided that I wanted to work in some kind of publishing setting. I got a degree in English from Utah State University with the intent of becoming an editor. I refined my writing and editing skills and learned a little bit about technology along the way.
What do I do?
I do all sorts of things! I’ve worked on product launches and PR projects, written email newsletters and blog posts, and helped manage the iFixit blog.
I don’t have a rich history with repair yet, but I’m building one. I’ve fixed the screen on my iPhone and the buttons on my Gameboy, and I’m getting ready to replace the battery in my laptop. All it takes is the willingness to give your stuff a second chance.
What else do I do?
In my free time, you can find me doing one or more of the following:
- Reading: Anything from Shakespeare to Harry Potter. My favorite book is ''The Goose Girl''.
- Traveling: My favorite place in the entire world is London, England.
- Hiking or rock climbing: I’m no Alex Honnold—if I ever climb El Cap, it’ll be in a harness.
- Playing video games: I just finished my first Zelda game and now I’m playing Pokemon: Sword.”
- Cross stitching: My current works in progress are a picture of Hogwarts and a dragon attacking a castle.
- Taking pictures: I’m slowly learning the art of photography.