Started in 1981 with a Timex/Sinclair 1000, and it’s been quite an experience since then.
Piece of cake, as the saying goes! (Sorry, but IMHO—in my humble opinion—opening the case wasn’t as difficult as it’s made out to be.) Got it done, battery replaced successfully, case pried open and closed up again, in about an hour.
But it’s not all balloons and sunshine. Trying to pry open the bottom edge, the tool slipped and entered the charging port, apparently knocking loose some pins. Now I can’t get the new battery to charge, or the device to sync with my MacBook Pro. I hate creating problems by accidentally breaking something else while attempting a repair! Arrrggh!
I used the flat metal “paddles” found in the original iFixit kit (the one with the 54 bit Nut Driver set, in the grey pouch with Velcro) to open up the iPod, along with a couple of plastic spudgers and the iFixit “Jimmy”. As many have reported, the plastic tools are practically worthless. Both times I tried to use one, part of it broke off in the iPod. I also had no use for the 1 1/2” putty knife.